Lemosho Route 8 Days
When to visit?
June to March
- Itinerary Code: GY/91
- Duration: 8 Days
- Category: Trekking
- Destinations: Kilimanjaro via Lemosho Route
- Attraction: Kilimanjaro mountain, world tallest free-standing mountain
- Tour Guides Language: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian,
- Start in: Moshi/Arusha
- End in: Moshi/Arusha
- Packing list: Camera with enough zoom and memory space and extra batteries, binoculars, light clothes, safari boot, mosquito repellents, sunhat, sunglasses with ultraviolet radiation filtering etc.
- Extra info: Provide Porters and Cookers to accompany you while on the mountain.
Price for 8-Day Climb + 2 Days in Hotel Lemosho Route
|No. of pax|
Rate per pax
Extra budget for Tips
As a general rule of tipping, the below should be used as a guideline:
- Climbing Heard Guide: $15 – $20 USD per day (per group)
- Climbing Assistant Guide: $12 – $15 USD per day (per group)
- Climbing Cook: $10 – $15 USD per day (per group)
- Porters: $7 – $8 USD per day (per porter per group)
Day 1: Drive to Kilimanjaro National Park Londorossi Gate, Hike to Mti Mkubwa Camp
After breakfast and briefing, drive to Londorossi Park Gate (about a 3-hour drive). From here a forest track requiring a 4WD vehicle leads to Lemosho Glades. Walk along forest trails to Mti Mkubwa (big tree) campsite.
- Elevation: 1830m/6000ft to 2650m/8700ft
- Distance: 6km/4mi
- Hiking Time: 2-3 hours
- Habitat: Montane Forest.
Day 2: Hike Mti Mkubwa Camp to Shira 1 Camp
After breakfast, we continue as the trail gradually steepens and enters the giant heather moorland zone. After several streams are crossed we continue over the Shira Ridge then gently downwards to Shira 1 camp located by a stream on the Shira Plateau.
- Elevation: 2650m/8700ft to 3500m/11,500ft
- Distance: 8km/5mi | Hiking Time: 4-5 hours
- Habitat: Moorland.
Day 3: Hike Shira 1 Camp to Shira 2 Camp
After breakfast, a gentle hike across the plateau leads to Shira 2 camp on moorland meadows by a stream. A variety of hikes are available on the Plateau, making this an excellent acclimatization day.
- Elevation: 3500m/11,500ft to 3850m/12,600ft
- Distance: 8km/5mi
- Hiking Time: 4-5 hours
- Habitat: Moorland.
Day 4: Hike Shira 2 Camp to Barranco Camp
From the Shira Plateau we continue to the east up a ridge, passing the junction towards the peak of Kibo. As we continue, our direction changes to the South East towards the Lava Tower, called the “Shark’s Tooth” (elev 4650m/15,250ft). Shortly after the tower we come to the second junction which goes to the Arrow Glacier. We now continue down to the Barranco Camp. Although you end the day around the same elevation as when you began, this day is very important for acclimatization and will help your body prepare for summit day.
- Elevation: 3850m/12,600ft to 4000m/13,000ft
- Distance: 8km/5mi
- Walking Time: 5-6 hours
- Habitat: Semi-desert
Day 5: Hike Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp
After breakfast, we leave Barranco and continue on a steep ridge up the Barranco Wall to the Karanga Valley and the junction which connects with the Mweka Trail.
- Elevation: 4000m/13,000ft to 4050m/13,250ft
- Distance: 5km/3mi
- Hiking Time: 34 hours
- Habitat: Alpine Desert.
Day 6: Karanga Camp (3963) to Barafu Camp (4640m)
After a good night’s rest and breakfast, we set off on our walk to Barafu camp at 4640m. The climb will take us across desolate scree slopes with no vegetation around us at all. It’s a tough steep walk made more difficult by the altitude. On arriving at camp we eat and spend the afternoon resting as we prepare for a long night and day ahead. It is important to keep hydrated and warm. We have an early dinner and then try to get some sleep as we will be getting up at between 11pm and 12pm to start the climb to the summit.
- Distance covered: 3km / 1.9mi
- Approx. time taken: 3 hours
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Included
Day 7: Hike Barafu Camp to Summit, down to Mweka Camp
Very early in the morning (midnight to 2 am), we continue our way to the summit between the Rebmann and Ratzel glaciers. You head in a northwesterly direction and ascend through heavy scree towards Stella Point on the crater rim. This is the most mentally and physically challenging portion of the trek. At Stella Point you will stop for a short rest and will be rewarded with the most magnificent sunrise you are ever likely to see. Faster hikers may view the sunrise from the summit.
From Stella Point, you may encounter snow all the way on your 1-hour ascent to the summit. Once at Uhuru Peak you have reached the highest point on Mount Kilimanjaro and the continent of Africa!
From the summit we begin our descent by continuing straight down to the Mweka Camp, stopping at Barafu for lunch. You may want gaiters and trekking poles for the loose gravel going down. We arrive at Mweka Camp and enjoy our last evening on the mountain.
- Elevation: 4700m/15,350ft to 5895m/19,340ft | Down to 3090m/10,150ft
- Distance: 5km/3mi up / 13km/8mi down
- Hiking Time: 5-7 hours up / 5-6 hours down
- Habitat: Ston | scree and ice-capped summit.
Day 8: Hike Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate, drive to Moshi
After breakfast we continue the descent down to the Mweka Park Gate to receive your summit certificates. At lower elevations, it can be wet and muddy. Gaiters and trekking poles will help. Shorts and t-shirts will probably be plenty to wear (keep rain gear and warmer clothing handy).
A vehicle will meet you at Mweka gate to drive you back to your Hotel in Moshi (about 30 minutes). Don’t forget to tip your guides and porters.
- Elevation: 3090m/10,150ft to 1680m/5500ft
- Distance: 10km/6mi
- Hiking Time: 3-4 hours
- Habitat: Forest | Meals: B.
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR PACKAGE CUSTOMIZATION AND ANY OTHER NECESSARY INSTRUCTIONS
DAY SAFARI TRIPS
HISTORIC SITE VISIT
Other Lemosho Route Programs
7 Day Kilimanjaro Trekking Via Lemosho Route- Read more
Why Book with us?
Tailor Made Programs
We specialize in customizing your safari to suit your experience and budget expectations.
Experienced Guides for Unlimited Game Viewing
We use more than 10 years experienced, English speaking drivers and guides.
Reliable Safari Vehicles
All our safari vehicles are 4WD Toyota Land Cruisers equipped with large windows, pop up roof, phone charging stations, comfortable seats, and a fully furnished with bottle water
Fare Refund Policy
Our refund policy is designed in favor of the client. If the client cancels the trip with reason accepted in the policy, we will refund all money except the expenses incurred for the safari booking as explained in the policy